Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel

Squatting in its literal context can mean bending one's body. However, an average Nigerian may define squatting as living in a room with someone, illegitimately without paying for it.

Students in Tertiary institutions are well-acquainted with this connotation.

I will narrate what happened to me while I was squatting with a 'friend,' and I hope this story will urge you to face the bull by its horn and pay for an accommodation, no matter how cost it may be.

On April 7th, I came back to my room in the hostel. I met three of my room occupants, discussing alongside my 'friend,' something about me. They immediately switched the topic and started discussing about the examinations which were fast approaching. I noticed this, but I pretended I didn't. I wished I could know what they were discussing but I couldn't.

Suddenly, a bright idea struck my mind. I brought out my little Tecno 'torchlight' device and clicked on the sound recorder. I connected the phone to a charger and covered it with some clothes. Satisfied, i gave myself a mischievous smile and left.

Twenty minutes later, I came into the room and took my phone away. I went to the school's Pre-Degree Block, which has long been known for its extant tranquility. I bought out my earphone and played what i recorded. What i heard from my 'friend' was too repugnant and eerie for me to digest. He said I was bothering his life and that he wants me to get an admission for I took another UTME Examination with the motive of changing my course and institution. He also said that I haven't benefited him in anyway in his life.

The words crashed on my ears with so much weight that i felt like they would pull-off my ears from my body. I began thinking of how I've help him financially, physically and even to evade his emotional traumas, that they were too unlimited to count. I never did anything wrong to him, yet I was a nuisance to his life. What also fueled my disappointment was the ostensible compliment he made about me the previous day; he said he was going to miss me so much that he wish I won't leave the school.

Dear Nairalanders, even if you have friends or relatives who are willing to squat with you, it's better to pay for your own accommodation. A friend today may end up messing up your life tomorrow. Some may even do worse than what happened to me.
2 Li

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buhari Delivers Speech At The Opening Of Paris Peace Forum

I Didn't Cause The Increase Of Pants Stealing - Victor Ad Says In New Freestyle